|Mid-Century Holzman bag from Etsy shop DejavuVintageretro|
Or maybe like this...
|1950s Majestic Box Purse from Etsy LuminousLadyVintage|
Yea. Me neither.
Computers are bulky and unattractive. And most bags built for computers are similarly bulky and unattractive. When I thought I was a big-time professional career girl, I got this Grade A standard issue consultant Tumi bag and used it for YEARS.
|Tumi Alpha. Get it? "Alpha."|
At some point, I abandoned the Tumi bag for backpacks. Backpacks are handy, and you can stuff a lot of crap in them. They are comfortable to carry. And they transport onto planes easily, with even more crap smashed inside. But I find they look, well, a little collegiate.
And collegiate doesn't suit me. At all. Plus I over stuff my backpack and find myself hauling all kinds of unnecessary items around work and onto planes.
Additionally, I work in a really large corporate campus environment and frequently walk around from meeting to meeting. I can cover a few miles in a day. My pathetic over-stuffed backpack makes me look a little frumpy.
And annually, I do treat myself to a new bag. For several years, a post has stuck in my mind by one of my favorite bloggers, Penelope Trunk, called "How to Pitch a Blogger." Recently I went back and looked it up. Sometime in the summer of 2011, Aleysa sent Penelope a computer bag. I remembered that it looked good. We all know what happens next. I am so predictable.
If you unwrap a package on the dining room table, expect some help.
|Jack and Annie help out.|
The packaging is so pretty.
And a lovely little card. Alesya Bags.
All is revealed.
Computer slips right in. 15" laptop. Don't mock the well worn ThinkPad. Work pays for it.
- Silver color is cool.
- Laptop pouch is plenty roomy for 15" machine.
- Zipper compartment on top provides easy access to keys, phone.
- Leather feels rich.
- Not too big.
- Wide strap is comfortable on my shoulder.
- Dragged it all over work today. Stuff pulled in and out easily.
- Perfect for my around the work campus bag. In and out of the car.
Things to Consider (and counter points)
- Leather vs. the nylon backpack material is surprisingly heavy. I work out.
- No water bottle pocket. God gave me two hands.
- My lunch doesn't actually fit in the bag either. But it fits in my oversize purse.
- A 13" computer would work better. I am ordering one tomorrow.
- I wish I didn't carry around 8 1/2" by 11" wire bound notebooks. What the hell, I'll go totally digital.
- Could I really take this on a business trip? I will try. Honestly, I carry around too much stuff.